My personal recommendations for more enjoyment of food
Eating is essential for our health. It can also make you sick. However, the connections are by no means as clear and above all proved, as one would like to think.
Notwithstanding this and certainly not completely unjustified, modern malnutrition is partly responsible for the increase in civilization diseases. The flood of public information is continually flushing new or repackaged diets, diets and models of proper nutrition on land: Whole Food, Vegetarian and Veganism, Raw Food, Food Safety, Low Carb, Macrobiotic, Ayurveda, Nutrition Based on the 5 Elements, Stone Age Nutrition, Logi Method or Atkins Diet, just to name a few.
Not infrequently, the answers to the question of proper nutrition seem to be influenced ideologically, commercially or even politically. The recommendations and food pyramids can be turned upside down over the years and back again. Much is controversial in the food debate. Only one thing is clear: a single right nutritional form can not exist. Too large are the regional differences in food cultures worldwide, on the basis of healthy human life is possible.
Notwithstanding, there are a lot of practical tips for the healthy nutritional life, which is worth to heed. Here is a small selection of them:
My 10 most important tips
- 1. Eat consciously, intelligently and with pleasure. It's not just about the what, but about the how. Enjoy your food, but avoid too large portions. Do not feed on the hustle and bustle, in front of the TV or in any other activity. Give yourself enough time, chew well and fully appreciate the taste experience. Do you prefer your sweet tooth every now and then with a bar of chocolate than with sugary drinks. Season your food more often with fresh herbs and spices instead of salt.
- 2. Nutritional habits can be changed. More fish, less meat, more salad, less fries - you can not do that? Are you kidding me? Are you serious when you say that! As a rule of thumb, you can assume that your taste or that of your children can be reversed within about six weeks. For example, from strong sugary crunchy cereals on unsweetened, possibly sweetened with a little honey of course porridge, new Germanporridge, Or from sugary drinks to mineral or tap water.
- 3. The diet starts with drinking. At least 1.5 liters of fluid intake should be daily. That is much? Correct. You can not do that? Wrong (see point 2). Possible plan: drink a glass every hour. Preferably, it should be water, unsweetened herbal or fruit tea is also good. If the conversion to pure water is too intense, you can make do with Schorle. It contains one third fruit or vegetable juice and two thirds water. Also good: more often a clear, low-salt soup. Less than more: fruit juice (100%), coffee, black tea. Better still less: fruit juice drink or nectar, lemonade, coke, energy drinks, alcohol.
- 4. Eat varied, balanced and full. This is most likely to ensure a rich spectrum of all vital and healthy nutrients. No food, no tablet and no powder contains them in their entirety. It is always a mix of several, preferably fresh food required to meet the human nutritional needs. Proteins, carbohydrates and fats serve as energy suppliers and building materials. In addition, vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytochemicals are important.
- Fruits and vegetables: at every meal and in between, at least half of the plate. Smoothies or juices from time to okay, but no substitute for the full fruits.
- Cereals: if possiblehigh fiber, at least half as whole grain. Not too much shelled rice, white bread, potatoes and pasta; rather more legumes.
- Dairy products: prefer low fat.
- Sugar and salt: in moderation (Caution: often hidden, for example in processed foods).
- Fish, poultry, nuts: good sources of protein.
- Meat (red) and sausages, eggs, butter: preferably less (maximum 2-3 times or 300-600 grams of meat / sausage per week).
- Fat: rather less, quantity and type are important. Vegetable oils (mainly from olives, rapeseed or soybeans) belong to the basic nutrition.
- 5thPay attention to the biological value of your food. Anyone who quenches their hunger mainly with industrially produced ready meals risks sooner or later a malnutrition and malnutrition. The production-related poverty of vital substances is accompanied by an unhealthily high content of salt, sugar, fat and other food additives.
Especially required are vegans. Products that are supposed to mimic meat and cheese have different ingredients and therefore lower biological value. However, the supply of the required nutrients can succeed with a suitable selection of high-protein and high-fat plants. Beyond the official DGE recommendation, vegetarian and vegan nutritional pyramids help
- 6. Use fresh food and prepare it gently. Healthy food does not have to be expensive, many foods are cheap. Take advantage of the seasonal offers and consume most of your vegetable and fruit consumption in raw or lightly cooked form. In addition to the gentle preparation and the correct storage of wholesome food plays an important role. Frozen food can score some of its freshness benefits here. The trend towards more responsible farming and animal husbandry is urgently needed, especially from an ethical and ecological perspective. As more and more people follow him through their buying behavior, many organic products are cheaper.
- 7. Pay attention to the wholesomeness of your diet. Not everyone can handle everything in the same way. Do not overdo it with raw food or other nutritional ideas. If you listen attentively, your body will probably tell you what is really good for you. If that does not work, maybe nutritional advice will help.
- 8. Pay attention to your energy balance. Your amount of food should meet your needs to avoid overweight or underweight. That is why there is always so much talk about calories, which indicate the energy content of the food. And recently, the glycemic index, which is the higher, the faster a carbohydrate-containing food increases its blood sugar level after eating it. You do not necessarily have to put your food on the scales, but even now and then. The individual energy requirement is variable and dependent on many factors, e.g. Age, physical (and mental) activity, stress, illness.
- 9. Extra portion of vital substances. Not everyone succeeds in everyday life to eat 100% fully. Then extra portions of vitamins & Co. may be useful - as long as you do not consider them as a substitute, but only as a supplement to a healthy diet. We often recommend a specially developed one hereHealth juice, which covers all important vital substances and phytochemicals with one spoon per day. That's enough for a bottle for about 50 days. The efficacy has been proven in studies.
- 10. Stay in motion and in the fresh air. Physical activity in everyday life and free time (climbing stairs, walking, sports, etc.) not only burns calories. It also promotes coordination, depth sensitivity and self-awareness, meaning your somatic (physical) intelligence. Quite apart from other health benefits. You should also value a sufficient amount of sunlight. It stimulates vitamin D production in the skin and nourishes the well-being in the brain.
Author: Dr. Hubertus Glaser