Many anti-stress tips seem relatively banal at first glance. Some are actually, they are only (still) not implemented. If you want to make your life as stress-free as possible, you must first of all take two things into account: Avoid avoidable stress and deal competently with unavoidable stress.
If that was so easy, everyone would have done it long ago. But why does half of humanity - at least in the western industrial nations - complain about stress? Because it is not that easy to get out of the stress spiral. But it's worth it. And dealing with stress can be learned and trained.
Our personal recommendations
Do not wait too long, start right now. Because stress increases the risk for almost every chronic disease that exists - at least if you are not doing well (distress). There are also people who blossom in stress (Eustress). Of course, every now and then a little pause would do just fine.
The following tips should help you not to make your stress a problem.
- 1. Do not let yourself be influenced by others:With the foreign determination increases the risk of stress. If one of the boss or even the partner tells what is still to do, it stresses much more than if you have set yourself these tasks. However, it is not so easy to immediately recognize which of our many activities and trains of thought obey external compulsion rather than inner necessities. Our tip: Plan tasks that come to you anyway, preferably even before. Then you do that self-determined and are likely to find that you feel better with it.
- 2. Say also no: To the boss, to the partner, to whomever. At least if what is being demanded of you, even at the first thought, the throat shut up. You will find that saying no is much easier than expected. And that the irritated look of the other person turns into respect after a short time. No one is shooed so much as those who never say no. Of course, you should continue to say "yes" every now and then.
- 3. Think less and do more: The completion plan for this day is brimming and at noon it is clear that this is not possible. Actually, it was already clear in the morning. And that stresses, and how that stresses. A golden tip: On the agenda only the points that must necessarily happen today. So that is best checked off at noon. And then there are two extra plans, one for more urgent, one for a few urgent tasks, and then it is processed as far as time permits. In any case, in the evening you have the feeling that you have not left anything behind.
- 4. A little break works wonders: Whatever you are doing, take specific breaks for relaxation and leisure. And do the best during this break: NOTHING. The contemplative idleness - interwoven into the everyday rhythm! - can work wonders. Just look out of the office window for a quarter of an hour and watch the birds, or lie completely lazy on the sofa, perceive nothing but yourself - and have no bad conscience.
- 5. Avoid junk food: What does nutrition have to do with stress? A lot! An unhealthy fast food diet makes our body more susceptible to harmful stress. It weakens the immune system and beats - after only a brief satisfaction boost to the burger or the fries - on the mood. On the other hand, a versatile and balanced menu will raise your spirits and at the same time fills our energy and vital substance stores. To all office-stressed: rather a salad with a little extra or an Asian vegetable dish instead of burger, currywurst or pizza.
- A glass of milk or a piece of chocolate: Contains milktryptophan, And from tryptophan the body builds serotonin, our satisfaction hormone. You think that's nonsense? Then try it out. Even a small piece of chocolate is a "lucky charm", increases the endorphins in the brain, the so-called happiness hormones. But it should not be more than a piece.
- 7. It would be better to go for a walk three times a week instead of exhaust it:Exercise works wonders for stress and can be used specifically to reduce stress. This is a truism, but is often misinterpreted. Like a madman it goes on weekend at the fitness center or at the 15-km run. But there you can sweat so much, the daily brisk walk would be much better. Or easy jogging. Or or or. In any case, the frequency is more important than the extent of the movement. At least half an hour should be three times a week.
- 8. Sleep is yoga and meditation at the same time: Sleep is completely underestimated as a health maker by most. Its positive effect is clear and comprehensible for everyone.An hour more sleep and everything is easier to do by hand. But in our modern world, we constantly feel like we're missing something. Of course, sleeping is annoying. What a nonsense!
- 9. Turn off your emails and smartphones: That, too, works wonders: take your email account offline for at least two hours at certain times of the day. And only then do you work off the collected mail. And best of all, you do that with your phone. They think, "but that does not work, the others expect an immediate reaction"? Then you think wrongly and make yourself a slave to the completely covered everyday life.
- 10. No appointments after the holiday: And now you have finally taken a vacation, and you come back to the office, and the desk is overflowing with 833 e-mails waiting for an appraisal and answer, plus four meetings in the first two days. And then all the nice rest is gone. How you can avoid that: good substitution solution in advance, no appointments in the first three days after the holiday, in peace again sift everything, when reading a mail all not very important first in the queue of waiting.
Two more tips:
The first on the topic of nutrition: We recommend a special nutrient supply for optimum vitalityHealth juice, One spoon per day covers all vital substances, so one bottle will last for around 50 days. The good efficacy has been proven in studies.
The second on the subject of medicinal plants: WithRhodiola There is also a medicinal plant, the effects of which are also well documented during stress and overuse.
Authors: Dr. Hubertus Glaser & Dr. med. med. Jörg Zorn